Friday, January 01, 2010

A New Year: Reflections on 2009

Do you see this picture of Caroline? Perfect rosy cheeks, a perfect smile, in her beautiful red tutu, which I put on her moments before we were to head to friends' home for a New Year's party?

Well, as we were snapping this picture, and bear in mind the boys were already putting on their coats . . . she delivered a HUGE poop. The huge kind that starts with that "D" word that I loathe. It got all over the tutu. And the rug. And so, I had to change. And that pretty much sums up 2009. Not the diar . . . I can't even type it. Not the poop part. The having to change at the last minute. Which I'm not good at. I hate to sound like one of those people who complains, but I think I'm glad to put 2009 behind me. It was often rough. I think I weathered the job change decently. I did NOT weather Tim's back and leg injury gracefully. And I hope he has forgiven me. And I have to say, I have had better years as far as my own controlling tendencies. And when it comes to treating my children with a tender heart, I have definitely had better years. And I said I wouldn't dwell on the negative, and here I am doing it. But then there was April 21st. And when I saw her face (oh gosh, if Tim sees me crying while blogging, he will definitely mock me without ceasing), all I could think was, "There you are." And when the boys piled in and all three men in my life were fawning over her, I thought (as if I knew what was to come) . . . really that's all that matters. Those four people right over there. So for 2010 all I can do is be so thankful for my amazing family and the countless blessings, heaped and heaped upon me. And I can pray for less attachment to things being a certain way. And more patience. And for forgiveness and grace. BUT, I will not forgive Brady Jones for getting the theme song from Titanic stuck in my head.













1 comment:

Ashley said...

Just catching up on your blog, and as usual you made me cry. Happy 2010, my dear friend. I can not wait to see you again . . .