Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cole's Greatest Hits

Gayle and Jack are here from California. Yesterday, Cole sequestered himself on Grandma's sofa to play with Jack's I-Pod. Or I-Phone. I don't know which, but it played music. And we got to chatting about how much Cole loves music. His incredible recall of lyrics. His recognition of different instruments. And, of course, his original compositions. I've been writing them down. He often belts them out at the bus stop, teaching them to the young children of my friends and neighbors, which I'm sure they appreciate. Some of his finest include:
"You See My Boobies" - sung in a deep scratchy voice, while rotating hips and pointing to your boobies with your thumbs.
"Poop in Your Pants, Poop in Your Pants (One More Time!)" - I think this one speaks for itself.
"Coco Loco, Coco Loco, Baby" - He wrote that one for his sister. But he's not selfish with it - he sings it to all the other baby girls that might be in the vicinity, too.
The beauty of these songs, of course, other than the touching lyrics, is the fact that he really is a sweet, gentle, reserved little guy. Except when he's singing. And then you get this hilarious, wild Cole - Cole with a slightly dirty mind. And I love it. He does occasionally sing nice songs. For example, this morning, he did a lovely cover of "If You're Happy and You Know It." I wish I could have recorded it. Or even photographed it. But if you ASK him to perform, forget it. You have to catch it on the sly, which is why the photo below is a year old. In any case, this beautiful Sunday morning, I get to have Cole's lovely voice in my head, singing, "If ya happy and ya know it, scream hoo-way." HOO-WAY, COLEY!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You really should try to record him - I would LOVE to hear his sweet little voice! As you know, Lola Gray loves to sing too but often hates to have an audience. If she catches you watching her she says "Don't listen to me!" but fortunately if I say "Oh I'm not listening" and turn my back to her she believes me and will keep singing.

We really need to try and get these kids together again SOON! xoxo