Thursday, January 24, 2013

I love you! And our house! And my Virginia!

At the risk of sounding sappy, old-fashioned, overdramatic, or my personal favorite question from a certain no-holds-barred sister-in-law of mine: "Are you having your period or something?" (I have been easily moved to tears lately) - I've been walking around all morning completely (and tearfully) overwhelmed with how special and blessed my life is. To have kids this age, and an incredible husband who loves us and gives so much of himself to us, and the opportunity to be home with these awesome souls and share in the most mundane yet exciting moments with them. Look, I know I'm a flawed parent - my poor husband has heard me complain about the stupidest things - but sometimes I manage to get my act together and stay present and recognize what a gift this life is. Like a morning when school is delayed two hours, and we pour out into the whopping one-inch of snow with all our best neighborhood pals, dragging plastic sleds and wearing our hand-me-down boots over our PJs (Chase wearing MY BOOTS, as a matter of fact) and having the time of our lives. Frozen fingers and toes, a big fat iced-over caterpillar with huge frozen antennae reaching in vain for the heavens (my hands were too cold to snap a picture at that point). And hot chocolate in giant mugs with piles of whipped cream and marshmallows. As we were warming up, Cole's iTouch started vibrating and blaring Gangnam Style, a Facetime call from his Poppy! And of course, everyone was reluctant to climb on the bus at 11am after such a fun morning (especially because I decided to keep Caroline home from preschool to play with me). But what a special time. What a great pile of kids I've got. And as I sit here with hat head and more coffee and my wet jeans pulled on over my workout clothes, Caroline comes stumbling in from the deck where she's been making snow angels, and declares breathlessly, with a big smile and hot pink snow-flecked cheeks, "Mommy I love you! And our house! And my Virginia!" You said it, girl.








2 comments:

GiGi Hilton said...

How wonderful that you can take advantage of every moment....that you realize how truly special those moments are. As the old man in Grump Old Men said "In the end it is the experiences that count." You can't buy those....cry if you must but at least you have the courage to FEEL. It may not always be comfortable but it is always valuable. Lucky lucky you.

GiGi Hilton said...

Wow! In one sentence she made everything worth it.