Friday, November 13, 2009
We are thankful
In what sometimes feels like a losing effort to get the kids focused on the true meaning of the season rather than Santa Claus, I've been trying to give the boys more opportunities to create their own holiday decorations (and we're hoping to make many of our gifts this year, as well . . . we'll see how much time we have). I have a wonderful book I think I've mentioned before called "The Creative Family" by Amanda Blake Soule, and it was there that we found this idea for a centerpiece focused on our blessings and the things we are thankful for. The boys painted cards with water colors and we all wrote down little things we're thankful for, as well as some blessings we can use during the season at dinnertime when we say grace. The boys have even invited some of their friends to "fill out a blessing card" (I sound dreadfully Presbyterian when I say that), and it's been pretty adorable. I feel compelled at this point to say there are times when I'm addicted to reading various blogs - there are some beautiful ones out there - and I come away completely down on myself. Why aren't I that creative/involved in charity work/good with a camera/devoted to my family? Then I remember that we tend to post the best parts of life in blogs and scrapbooks, and the reader is completely unaware of the times when one snaps at their kids, complains to their husband (way too much) and stares at a pile of laundry wanting to throw it out the window. So, while I did want to capture the boys' thankful project on film, I personally am one who MOST needs to focus on the blessings mentioned in there and quit complaining.
.JPG)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment