Sunday, November 03, 2013

Roanoke

We went down to Roanoke to see Ashley's baby sister get married. I've known her since she was younger than Caroline, and still think of her as a little brown-skinned thing with bobbed hair who can't say her Rs. The wedding was BEAUTIFUL. The boys stayed behind to attend to football and Odyssey of the Mind duties, so Caroline and I basked in hotel suite life (and it WAS sweet). I had to cancel my last two trips to see Ashley, due to little things like broken legs and the derecho (seriously?), so it was divine to see her. I love her more than anything in the world - my kids call her Aunt. Then we got to spend a glorious Sunday afternoon at the park with Nanny, Grandaddy, my little (!) brother Uncle Justin, Aunt Amanda and the kids. Oh the kids! They're wonderful. Gorgeous and smart and full of energy. Justin caught crawdads for us, and we ate fried chicken and dug in the dirt. And the drive back and forth, with the leaves changing in the Blue Ridge mountains, was just magical.

No comments: