I hate when it's storming like this (they're saying another derecho is possible - I certainly hope not) and the boys are a mile away at school instead of with me. As the sky darkened this morning, I called Chase back from the bus stop (he had gone out a minute ahead of me, as it is highly uncool to walk to the bus stop with your mother). We waited out the scariest clouds and then I drove them to school. I'm somewhat comforted by the TWO CALLS I've received from Miss R's cell phone - Chase calling to say he forgot his John Hancock costume and that he needs our flight suit for Matthew for the class play this afternoon. Like every mother in this country, we are on a treadmill of activities (so geniusly addressed here) all leading up to summer vacation. We're about halfway there. It started Tuesday morning with Field Day all morning out in the heat. When kids didn't want to get wet, guess who got to crouch down with a two liter bottle on her head while kindergarteners and first-graders tried (unsuccessfully) to squeeze water from giant sponges into said bottle . . . yep, that would be ME. Caroline, sunscreened head to toe, played happily on school grounds without ever leaving my line of vision. From there, we rushed out for a cooling yogurt with a friend, then Caroline kept me company as I got my hair cut. Then we grabbed some Capri Suns and headed back to school for an emotional surprise wedding shower for Miss R, Chase's teacher for the last two years. I arranged to meet my boys in the office at dismissal, only to get a call that they had hopped on the bus out of habit. Luckily I'm surrounded by my best friends in this neighborhood, who will grab your kids without a second thought. Hustled home, and corralled everyone to the pool for swim team practice (sandwiches for dinner!). Woke up Wednesday and did a similar routine with teacher gifts, truckloads of allergy-friendly baking for three parties, a quick mani for Caroline while her mother got her (overshare warning!) eyebrows waxed, relay games in even hotter weather for Cole's class, and . . . yep . . . swim practice again (sandwiches for dinner!). Today, we're in a nice lull until 2:00 when we head to a 4th grade play, end of year ceremony, two teacher retirement parties and a graduation party for the daughter (and a favorite babysitter) of Caroline's preschool teacher (cake for dinner!). And Miss Caroline has been trailing me through all of this and, I must confess, it has been so much fun. This morning, Tim picked her up and admired her nails, and said, "You and Mommy have been having a really good time this week, haven't you?" and she gave him the biggest sweetest hug and kiss ever. There is lots more to come with the last gymnastics class, more evening practices (and sandwiches!), swim team time trials and a quick trip to the beach. But we're not in a hurry.
No comments:
Post a Comment