Sunday, January 04, 2015

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

We had an absolutely wonderful holiday season. We somehow didn't overdo it (notwithstanding the exhausting-sounding list below - perhaps because the kids had such a long Christmas break). There was very little rushing, and with two exceptions, there was wonderfully harmonious behavior by all. That being said, something about being inside a grandmother's house lately makes my two younger ones act like wild animals. I have nothing to say about that except sorry to Grandma and Nanny. In any case, we did many wonderful, memory-creating activities. But I'll tell you what my favorite moment was, and it was humbling for me given my tendency to try to control and orchestrate activities. A few days before Christmas, I started to feel a little run down, and I REALLY did not want to be sick for Christmas. So that evening, I pulled pizzas out of the freezer, heated them up and put them on paper plates for the kids. I told them to eat up, and I'd be upstairs resting for a few minutes. I went upstairs, stretched out on top of my bed, covered my legs with whatever clean laundry was waiting there, and flipped on the TV. The original Miracle on 34th Street was just starting. Over the course of the next 10 minutes, the kids drifted upstairs one by one, climbed in next to me, and the four of us watched the whole thing. We talked about New York and the parade, and Gimbels and Macy's, and Natalie Wood, and we snuggled up. And when the credits started rolling, all three kids yawned and stretched, and . . . trotted off to bed! It was glorious.
But here's what else happened in December: I celebrated with my ESOL students. We shopped for flower girl dresses with Grandma (Nashville, here we come!). The kids and I went to the gorgeous light show at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens right here in Vienna (and check out what the cool $2 holograph glasses do to our Christmas tree!). We made cookies and a gingerbread house. We attended Christmas parties. We bought, stuffed and delivered stockings for a Fairfax County Public Schools family in need. We hosted Pops and family, and Aunt Jeanie and her new beau, for Woo family Christmas. We Christmas shopped, and walked around at night looking at neighbors' Christmas lights, and went to the movies. We celebrated Christmas Eve with our local cousins. We drove to Richmond Christmas evening and played with those cousins for a few days. We headed to the Blue Ridge Mountains to reconnect with Nanny and Grandaddy (whom Caroline is 100% convinced is Santa Claus, and don't try to tell her otherwise), Betty Jo and Dave, and the cousins, oh the cousins! On the drive home from which, the following hilarious conversation ensued:
CAROLINE: Mommy, your Aunt Betty Jo is so beautiful.
ME: Yes, I know, honey.
CAROLINE: I can't believe how beautiful she is!
ME: Why are you surprised?
CAROLINE: I guess I thought she'd be old and ugly.
ME: WHAT? Why?!
CAROLINE: Because I thought aunts were old and ugly.
ME: Caroline, aunts are not old and ugly. Think about your aunts. Aunt Jeanie?
CAROLINE: Beautiful.
ME: Aunt Carrie?
CAROLINE: Beautiful.
ME: Aunt Anastasia?
CAROLINE: Beautiful. . . Hmm. I guess aunts are beautiful.
(So, Logan, Ian, Jay, John, Alex, Tommi, Charli, Araya . . . please remember AUNTS ARE BEAUTIFUL.)
And finally, after much back and forth with friends juggling sick relatives, we ended up hosting a very casual New Years Eve, in which we announced that we'd be ringing in the BRAZILIAN New Year (Yumi, despite her Japanese/Italian heritage, is in fact Brazilian) and everyone was required to leave at 9:05 pm. Perfect ending to an awesome year. Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: