Thursday, August 30, 2012

Holding onto summer with both hands

I've been quiet for a while because we've been so consumed by football. Every night for more than two hours. We eat dinner incredibly early (then Chase eats dinner again incredibly late). We start our summer days early too, so Chase can have some downtime before practice. At the pool when it opens, outside early with the friends, that sort of thing. But we're holding on tight, because for the first time in a LONG time, maybe EVER, I am NOT ready to send my children back to school. Today's 'open house' at the newly renovated school was full of the usual excitement, of course. Chase is SO EXCITED to get back into the swing of things, which has never happened . . . we have Miss R to thank for that, his teacher last year, who moved up to 4th grade this year and is taking Chase with her. She's an inspiration, and Chase is thrilled and motivated. And Cole has the rumored sweetheart of first grade, but he was TERRIBLY shy with her today. (So of course, his sister ended up elbowing her way into the conversation and announced to Mrs. K, "I'm Caroline, Cole's sister. I'm three. I'm not two anymore. I go to school at preschool and I'm in Drake's class, but I'll be here soon.") Cole has already told me he doesn't want to go back, and he held tight to me the whole time. Tuesday could be rough. I'm hoping the presence of his two best friends at the bus stop this year will help. So we're excited about school, but I want just one more week. One more week to take our time in the mornings, play outside, get filthy. But who knows, maybe that one week would be the one that pushed me over the edge. Maybe the 6am sibling bickering would have finally pushed me into drinking territory. Or we'd have ended up on the 5:00 news. So maybe it's okay. But I will really really miss summer. And by the way, I can't believe I'm saying this, but we all LOVE football.

No comments: