Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cole is a Promise

Yesterday was the day for end-of-year ceremonies and celebrations at Oakton Elementary. Chase's teacher threw a little brunch and handed out awards (Chase received the award for INTEGRITY!) and scrapbooks tailored to each child. Boy, are we wishing Miss R would move up to fourth grade - she has been a pivotal influence on Chase's maturity and approach to school. I'll be forever grateful. And I've written before about how Miss S just coaxed out the most amazing qualities from Cole this year. I am so thankful for these wonderful teachers in our children's lives. I wanted to post two videos - neither one is particularly interesting, and it's hard to see Cole, but I wanted to remember the moments. Cole following the procession up to the stage (6th child walking up, white shirt, black shorts with white stripes) and standing there while his good friend Ruby (red pants) ducks her head toward him and chats in that familiar way. They are so cute together. We plan to see lots of her this summer. And then there's the "I am a Promise" song. I'm sure half the kindergarteners across the country sing it. Cole is way in the back about halfway across, this bright blonde spot back there. Chase sang the same song three years ago - I had a 7-week old, and Tim was looking for a new job. I had parked my car illegally, and when it was announced moments before the show started that a few of us would have to go move our cars, I just about lost it. Another mom from the class jumped up, grabbed my keys and ran out to move my car. I'll never forget that. Then the kids sang this song - Chase had been practicing it around the house and it just hit Tim and me right in the heart. And it's no less convicting today - it sums up so much about these little souls, especially Cole, my tender, creative(according to HIS award ceremony!), brilliant little promise. So I cried through it AGAIN yesterday. Just think how bad it will be in three years when Caroline is up there.

No comments: