I'm putting these tee-ball pictures up with somewhat of a mixed agenda. Cole is enjoying tee-ball. He balks before practice, and then has a good time while he's there. And he senses the excitement of the games, but isn't exactly die hard about it. I often sense the coach's frustration - Cole does not run fast from base to base. He usually forgets he's supposed to run altogether. When he's in the outfield, he's often holding buttercups up to his chin. I want to tell the coach that Cole is all about the journey. He has always been about the journey, and I sometimes think that's why he was sent to me - to balance me out, because I've always been about the destination. Cole literally cannot understand the concept of hurry. I've tried to explain it to him, to tell him to respond to "hurry" by doing whatever he's doing really fast. He looks at me blankly, says OK and keeps moving at his usual pace. He just doesn't get it. So I've stopped saying it. The irony of it is he's experiencing the true joy we're all looking for, the complete immersion in the present moment, so why in the world would I want to deprogram that? I know he should learn to have some competitive instinct, that he should be focused on helping his team and listening to his coach. But he was a four year old not that long ago. He's in a totally magical place right now, and contrary my normal instincts, I'm going to fight like hell to keep him there.
Thursday, May 05, 2011
The Journey
I'm putting these tee-ball pictures up with somewhat of a mixed agenda. Cole is enjoying tee-ball. He balks before practice, and then has a good time while he's there. And he senses the excitement of the games, but isn't exactly die hard about it. I often sense the coach's frustration - Cole does not run fast from base to base. He usually forgets he's supposed to run altogether. When he's in the outfield, he's often holding buttercups up to his chin. I want to tell the coach that Cole is all about the journey. He has always been about the journey, and I sometimes think that's why he was sent to me - to balance me out, because I've always been about the destination. Cole literally cannot understand the concept of hurry. I've tried to explain it to him, to tell him to respond to "hurry" by doing whatever he's doing really fast. He looks at me blankly, says OK and keeps moving at his usual pace. He just doesn't get it. So I've stopped saying it. The irony of it is he's experiencing the true joy we're all looking for, the complete immersion in the present moment, so why in the world would I want to deprogram that? I know he should learn to have some competitive instinct, that he should be focused on helping his team and listening to his coach. But he was a four year old not that long ago. He's in a totally magical place right now, and contrary my normal instincts, I'm going to fight like hell to keep him there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment