Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"What's this day called again?"



In the spirit of the day, we started our morning with scones (okay, Bisquick mixed with vanilla soymilk, cinnamon, raisins and brown sugar, but the kids didn't know the difference) and shamrock napkins. Then Cole and I embarked to Wegman's for corned beef, which simmered all day and made our mouths water. I made a cake, and when Chase came home from school, he made whole wheat Irish soda bread - start to finish all by himself. The kids had a great time getting everything ready. Dinner consisted of corned beef, bread, root vegetables and Brussels sprouts, a fun nod to St. Patrick's Day, but - and I feel I can say this with impunity, being part-Irish myself - Irish food is just not that yummy. So we wrapped up with huge slabs of cake. Cole was shoveling it in as fast as he could go, when he suddenly stopped and said, "Mommy. Why did you make this cake for . . . why did you make this cake . . . why did you make this cake for . . . uh, what's this day called again?" I said, "St. Patrick's Day." Again he asked, "Yeah, why did you make this cake for St. Patrick's Day?" Tim suppressed a snicker as I answered, "I guess I was just in the mood for a holiday."











































No comments: