There's a chapter in one of the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" books (okay, yes, I read books like "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff." One gets desperate for guidance in this profession. The completely self-righteous, ignorant former me who had nothing to worry about before children besides finishing my work at the office and choosing a restaurant for dinner would have sooner DIED than read something like that). Anyway, where was I. Oh yeah, so there's a chapter called "Expect It to Spill." Pretty self-explanatory: if you have kids, expect things to get messed up, and try not to freak out about it. Well, if I had written the book, that chapter would be entitled, "Expect It to Leak and Ruin the Sub-Floor." Because, you got it, yet another one of my bathrooms developed a leak, ruined the floor, damaged the basement wall, and now we're replacing the toilet and the floor in the powder room. I keep saying to myself, "You wanted a house. You wanted a house. You wanted a house." And by the way, as I type this, the guy who's installing our alarm system (because having kids has also made me jumpier than a racehorse whenever my husband leaves town) just said, "Uh oh, someone's streaking" and of course, there goes Chase running buck naked through the living room. So I guess I'll just sell one of the kids to pay for all of this. But the important thing is not to sweat the small stuff, right? On the Big Stuff newsfront, I have a beautiful new niece, named Tom Yee Woo after our great grandfather. Justin & Amanda are calling her Tommi, and there she is (and Coley of course, in his "Hulk" shirt Aunt Carrie gave him).
No comments:
Post a Comment